Monday, September 16, 2013

Odessa and such

The past week and a half has flown by so fast. I can't believe I have already almost been here for 3 weeks. Tomorrow will mark that day. It blows my mind. This whole thing is already going by way too fast!

My 2nd week of teaching was much better than my first. & I hope that that pattern will continue. I hope it'll just get easier and easier with time. My head teacher taught a whole day of my ELE classes with me and it went so much smoother than the week previous so I am grateful for that.

The 2nd group of Kiev volunteers got here since the last time I wrote. Here is a picture of my friend Rachel and I at the mall in Kiev. We waited for that day for such a very long time...


We plan on making weekly (if not daily) trips to the mall so I know we're going to have a blast together here in Kiev.

Something hilarious happened to me the other day. There was this guy playing his guitar and singing and I thought he was really good. So I wanted to video him and then afterwards I wanted to give him some money. So I just walk up to him and start videoing and watch what happens....




He thought that I was with the kinds that spilled the Fanta on him so he started yelling and me and got super angry so I just threw some money into his guitar case and booked it out of there. Haha. Just my luck right? Of course that had to happen the moment I decide to start recording him...

Here is a picture of the class that is "my" class. They're such a great group of kids. I am with them every Wednesday and Friday for 3 hours.


Here is a picture that I sneak of another kid. I just thought that this mullet was too voluptuous not to capture.


Some Ukrainians just rock the craziest hair-dos. I love it because they honestly just don't care what people think.

As the title of my blog post states, we went to Odessa for the weekend. It was probably one of the worst decisions I have ever made. I hated it. It didn't really have anything special about it and I thought it was just a huge waste of my money. It rained the entire time and was freezing cold. It's just beyond me why some people (like us) pay money to go and tour the city. I wasn't very impressed. But maybe I am just being a spoiled brat because of other pretty places that I have seen. Anyways, here are some pictures:


Riding in the sleeper trains was the worst thing ever.


Me at the Black Sea.

The opera house.

Me and a jumbo juice box. Ukrainian juice = <3

Lindsee, Megan, and I found the coolest little restaurant ever.



Inside the opera house. We went to an opera. It was forever long and we had no idea what was going on.

The aftermath of a super crazy market that they have 7 KM from the city. It was a mad house. 


Us in the hallway at the hostile. It was disgusting. 

A group of us at the opera.

Funny story about this little guy. Megan, Lindsee, and I were on our way back to the hostile when we kind of got lost and ended up in a really sketchy part of town. Next thing I know my foot is killing me and throbbing with pain and I feel around with my had when I touch this. It is an old, rusty plate with screw sticking out of it. One of the screw went through my shoe and into the heel of my left foot. It stayed in my foot for like 30 min because I couldn't pull it out. I was pulling as hard as I could and it wouldn't budge. So we had to call my head teacher and he came and found us, yanked this thing out of my foot and carried me back to the hostile. It was quite the experience. I am still limping everyone and I am going to go to the doctor in a few hours to get a tetanus shot. Of course it had to happen. Odessa hated me. 


On the way home this guy slept RIGHT next to me. His feet were so gross and he smelled of urine. Lucky me.


The lady below him snored louder than I have ever heard anyone snore. It was a trip that I will never forget. 

Sorry if it seems like I am doing nothing but complain but I just had an awful time there. Haha. I will never go back and I am so grateful to be back in Kyiv. I love this city so much! It's so awesome and the people are so much nicer here. Everyone we met in Odessa was a huge jerk. Just glad to be home.



2 comments:

  1. Mixed feelings about this. Love that I made it in, even if I look like I just spent an hour in a stuffy metro (it's the new fashion). Hate that you hated Odessa. And that you were injured. But hey, you look great in all the pictures.

    Do you think I could find a way to take that women's dress back to America with me? #bonnetsforlife

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad, I loved Odessa both times I went. Just remember, "It's an adeventure." You'll look back on these times and think, "Wow. I did that. It was hard then, but man I'm glad I have such stories to cherish and share." I laughed out loud (in the BYUI library mind you) at your photos from the sleeper trains. Love it. I miss those sights and yes, even the smells. Good times. Thank you so very much for posting the photos of your kids. Can you list their names? I can't quite remember, and the one with the glasses...Vova I think?

    ReplyDelete