Sunday, September 1, 2013

LIVING THE LIFE

I really can't believe it's already almost been a week since I got here. Time is already flying by. This is not a good sign. They are going to have to drag me out of this place when it's time to leave!

I keep seeing things that I want to write about on here but when it comes time to write, it all goes away. I somehow need to keep a good system so that I can write about all of the little details that happen!

Quite a bit has already changed since the lost blog post. My school schedule is way different than everyone else's but I am pretty sure that I am really going to love it! I don't teach at all on Saturday, Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday. Maybe every once and a while I will help with the Pre-K kids but that's it. I don't the younger kids at all. Only the elementary aged kids. On Wednesday in the mornings I am doing something called ELE or "English language enrichment". It's where I will go to a normal school (not an ILP school) and help the Ukrainian teacher teach her English class. So that will be way fun. It will be like 3 different classes in the morning so lots of kids! & then on Wednesday night I have my own class! I am guessing they will only by like 8 or 9 and there were only be 5 of them! It's going to be awesome. I can't wait for it. On Thursday morning I will do another ELE and that's it! & Fridays in the morning I will do another ELE in the mornings and then my class in the evenings. It'll be great to finally start teaching! Since I am a part of ILP, I teach their curriculum by their system of teaching. I don't have to just pull stuff out of no where but I actually have a huge book of lesson plans so I just have to organize the information and the subjects!

Okay, I have been dying to write about these buses called "marshrutky":


Every single time I ride on one, I just have to smile. It's so funny. First of all, they're small but can fit about 100 people. Secondly, the drivers are the best multi taskers EVER. The other day I was on one and the driver was driving, giving change, and talking on the phone all at once. When there is a large number of people on the bus, it is obviously impossible to get to the front to pay the driver. So everyone just passes their money up to the front and the driver will pass back the change and everyone just passes it on until it reaches the person it belongs to! It's so weird to me but I love it. It's a huge part of the experience considering that I am going to be riding one every day.

So this is what Ukrainian money looks like! Max told me that it was even voted the prettiest currency a few years back! Love it.


On Friday night we attended the Friday night institute for the Young Single Adults at church. This is a picture of my group (minus my head teacher and his wife):

Left to right: Lindsee, Alexis, Lindsay, Katelyn, Abby, yours truly, Megan, and Diantha

Immediately following the FHE, we went on a walk around Kiev with Max. It was amazing! Kiev is so stinking beautiful. It really felt like a movie. This is what we saw:






 You will probably be seeing a ton of this on my blog. Kiev street wear. Camo print on camo print. Sweet.







Amazing, right? Jealous? Thought so. I am seriously living the dream. Kiev is totally fit just for me. 

On Saturday I had a great full day with my fam. We went to lunch, visited a Chernobyl museum, went to the mall, and then walked around the temple! It was a fabulous day. Perfect way to spend my first Saturday in the country!


I LOVE MY HOST FAMILY SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH! Seriously. I landed myself the jackpot. 

Today I had my first Kiev church experience. Since my family are members of the LDS church, I decided to attended their ward with them! It was awesome. It felt really similar to church in Prague. I loved it and the ward gave me a really nice welcome. Max is the bishop and he asked me to give the closing prayer in sacrament meeting in Slovak! I was so nervous for some reason! Afterwards one of the members came up to me speaking Russian and I was like "I am sorry, I don't understand you!" & she was all "Where are you from?!" so I tell her and then she responds "I heard your prayer and during it I thought to myself 'Oh, poor guy. His Russian accent is so bad!..... Wait, that's not Russian! It's Ukrainian!...... Some very weird form of Ukrainian!". Haha. Isn't that hilarious?! I thought it was. I really nice guy named Ivan translated for me. We're going to be BFFLs. I am already going to get a calling soon! Can't wait. 

Here is what our building looks like:



Mark looked so fly for church today:


We have 2 sets of missionaries in our ward. I already love being around them!:


After church we had a great lunch and then went to an outdoor World War II museum. Pictures to prove it:






One of my favorite things of the day:

I'm obsessed with this for some reason. Maybe because this is exactly how I pictured Ukrainian teenage boys and girls. I had to go creepy status and sneak a pic.

That's all for this post. Can't wait to share more with you about my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment